City C3 Service Request

Submit a service request (C3)

The primary goal of service requests is to ensure effective service delivery throughout Cape Town. If you would like to submit a service request, report a fault in your area or log an issue, you can do so via our customer call centre at 0860 103 089 or online.

What you can request or report

The City of Cape Town’s service request application ensures that you are able to report issues or send requests to the correct line department, such as:

  • leaking water pipes;
  • no power or electricity/ unscheduled outages;
  • blocked stormwater drains;
  • uncollected refuse or waste;
  • tree removal and cutting;
  • illegal dumping;
  • noise nuisances;
  • graffiti and stolen or vandalised City property;
  • unruly or inappropriate behaviour;
  • problem buildings; and
  • speeding and traffic offences.

How to submit a report

Go to the service requests application and select the service request you would like to make using the drop-down menu.